Sunday, June 2, 2013

May 28, 2013 New Address in New Orleans, LA

May 28, 2013

Hello family and friends!

Things in Louisiana are hot and humid and despite that, excellent!

First of all, this week, we moved.  For those of you who would like to write me (I know that's all of you), here's my new address:

3550 Grandlake Blvd. G307
Kenner, LA 70065

I even bolded it for you.  Now don't you forget it.

This last week has been kind of an unusual one.  All four of us sisters were sick for the better part of three days with food poisoning.  One of the member's cooking didn't sit so well with us, but we're all better now!  That just threw us off a bit, as far as our plans went.  


Last week we met an incredible woman, Lorena, who was actually referred to us by one of our current investigators, Elizabeth.  Elizabeth had been teaching Lorena about the Church on her own and then invited us over to teach them both.  We talked to them about the Book of Mormon and I don't think I've ever seen someone consider so deeply a passage of scripture as she did when we shared Moroni's Promise (Moroni 10:4-5) with her.  Lorena is awesome and we're so excited to teach her more.  Elizabeth, as well, is absolutely incredible.  She's come a long way and is so receptive to learning new things.


Yesterday was Hermana Walker's birthday, so we went out to Olive Garden with one of the members here for dinner.  There were actually two members from Utah that happened to be there that night and came up and introduced themselves.  They ended up paying for our entire table!  It was too sweet of them.  My companions and I resolved to have the "pay it forward" mentality and look for more opportunities to serve others as well.


I'm coming to know the area better little by little, but I've still got a lot to learn.  I'm a little nervous, because the two sisters (Hermanas Walker and Blauer) that are training me and the other visa waiter (Hermana Rohm) are sister training leaders, so they're going on exchanges this week.  That means Hermana Rohm and I are on our own for the exchange, on bikes.  Since I'm the only one of the two of us that has done any biking, that means I'm in charge of getting us around.  I'm only slightly worried that I'm going to get us completely and utterly lost, but that's okay.  We only have a couple of appointments this afternoon once the exchange begins, and we have a map.


As far as the language goes, I feel slightly more confident each day.  The hardest part for me is understanding what other people are saying to me.  They all speak so fast and tend to be pretty soft spoken as well.  Especially the Hondurans and Ecuadorians.  That's going to be another challenge for me and Hermana Rohm this week- without our more experienced companions, we're going to be on our own as far as figuring out what people are telling us.  But it will be a great learning opportunity!


I think that's pretty much it for this week.  We're headed to District Meeting right now and then making boleatas for lunch (a traditional Honduran dish... I would highly recommend it!).  I hope everyone is well and I send you my love.  Thank you for your continual support.


Con amor,
Hermana Walton




No comments:

Post a Comment