Sunday, June 2, 2013

April 23, 2013

Hola, madre.
 
FIRST THINGS FIRST:  Lynette Lewis says hi.  She's been bugging me for weeks to tell you hello when I email you next and I kept forgetting.  So there you go.  She loves you.
 
Anyways, I got your letters this week.  As always, I appreciate all of the updates on how everything is going at home.  Seriously, my district thinks I'm really popular because I get so many Dear Elders from you. haha.  I love it.  I'm glad you got to visit with Rihanna for a bit and I look forward to getting those letters.
 
Most of this letter will be dedicated to talking about things you could share in your talk this Sunday about the mission thus far... you can kind of pick and choose and this is also a general email, I guess?  I'll let you sort that out. ;)  Love you, mom!
 
So the mission so far is wonderful!  It's definitely stretching me as a person, but I'm learning so much everyday and go to bed (almost) every night feeling satisfied that my time is being well spent.  This week, especially, has been a roller coaster.  I feel like I say that every week, but it's true.  And I guess there really is opposition in all things, huh? (2 Nephi 2:11)
 
Two of the biggest highlights this week for me:
 
There were two major highlights from this week: the first was that Elder Richard G. Scott came to the MTC to speak. Absolutely incredible. He spoke about prayer and revelation, and it reminded me a lot of my favorite talk by him, "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance". But this was even better, because I felt like I learned not only how to receive revelation for my own answers, but how to help my investigators with it as well. Not only that, but I was also in the choir singing for him, so I got to share my love for the gospel with him through the song, "Nearer, My God, to Thee". Needless to say, it was a great night at the MTC.
 
The other big news this week is.... we committed our first "investigator", Ryleigh, to baptism!
 
For those of you who may not be aware of how we are trained in the MTC with our teaching skills, our instructors roleplay with us acting as either investigators they taught on their mission, or real people in their lives right now.  Even though you're not teaching the actual person, it feels very real and the Spirit is certainly present as well.  Regardless of what it is, the Spirit will always testify of the truth.
 
So anyways, it was amazing! The spirit in that room was so strong as I said, "Seguirá el ejemplo de Jesucristo al ser bautizada?" (Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized?) We could see a change in our investigator's face as she realized that it was exactly what she needed in her life to come closer to her Heavenly Father. I can't wait for the opportunity to do that in the field.
 
Now about my experience out here in general:  the mission stretches you in ways you never could have imagined, but it really helps you grow.  I know the sanctity of the calling that I have and I can feel the Spirit so strong in this work.  Through my studies, I feel closer to the Spirit and feel that I'm learning more and more every day.
 
A scripture that has come to have a special meaning for me out here is Alma 29:1, where Alma the younger is speaking of how he wishes he could call all people unto repentence.  I used to think that verse had almost a harsh, judgmental connotation, but I've found that it is completely out of love.  Repentence is such an indescribable gift from our Saviour.  Through repentance, we are able to come closer to our Heavenly Father.  As a missionary, it is my wonderful opportunity to teach the people of Argentina of how they can use the power of the Atonement to enrich their lives.
 
For the record, I have no further update yet on how my visa is coming, but it is VERY likely that I will receive a reassignment somewhere state-side for a while before I go to Argentina.  Está bien, porque yo sé que eso llamado será inspirado, tambíen.  Placentero me es trabajar!  (It's alright, because I know that that call will be inspired as well.  The work pleases me!)
 
Now if there was one thing I would want to ensure that you say to the congregation is directed to the youth, especially the lovely young women of Springfield 5th Ward.  Tell them how great this work is.  I know that this is the best thing I could be doing with my life right now.  I know the divine, eternal impact I am able to have on the lives of others through my efforts and I know that this mission will change my life as well.  I encourage the young women that if they have even the slightest desire to serve, they do so.  Read Doctrine and Covenants 4.  Feel the power in those words and the great duty of missionary work.  My time in the MTC has been excellent preparation for the challenges set before me and I know that the mission won't be easy, but Heavenly Father shapes the back to fit the burden.  My dear sisters, if you have any desire, pray to know if that's what Heavenly Father wants of you.  You have no need to fear anything on the mission, because Heavenly Father will bless and sustain you and your family in your efforts.
 
I'll conclude with my testimony.  I know that this is Christ's church on the earth today.  I know that through the power of the Holy Ghost, if we pray with real intent, we can know the truth of this Gospel.  There's nothing more worthwhile in this life than to come closer to our Heavenly Father.  I know that Christ atoned for our sins, and it is only through Him that we can return to our Heavenly Father.  I know the power of the priesthood is real.  I know the Thomas S. Monson is the true prophet of God on the earth today.  I know that, although we may not understand everything that happens in our lives, or why we are asked to do certain things, if we are willing to submit to God's will, He will bless us.  We will have the strength to withstand all our trials and will feel His love.
 
I love you all and hope this finds you all well.  Have a lovely week, and mom, buenas suerte con su discurso esta semana. (good luck with your talk this week.)
 
Con sinceridad,
 
Hermana Walton

No comments:

Post a Comment