Sunday, June 2, 2013

May 20, 2013 - Temporary Assignment until Visa arrives - Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission

May 20, 2013

Hola, familia y amigos!

Mom, I'm going to print off your email and reply to it by hand, because I don't have too much time for email right now, but thank you!  Also, there are tons of other experiences I want to share, but really just don't have the time for!  I'm sorry, but I love you and will try o include them in my handwritten letter!

Thanks to everyone who's written me and made effort to stay in contact!  I really do appreciate it!  I had a flood of emails today, so I'm sorry if I didn't get to respond to yours yet, but I'll email you next week, or I could possibly be writing you by hand instead!

So this week has been quite the experience.  My first week in the field!  I'm currently in Kenner, which is just right outside of New Orleans, in the suburbs.  It's surprisingly green here, but super hot.  My companion (Hermana Walker) and I are on bikes, so that makes it seem even hotter.  My mission president (President Wall) makes a concerted effort to have all of the sisters in cars, but since there are so many visa waiting missionaries here right now, things are a bit unusual.  I'm technically in a quadpanionship, bu we don't do any work together.  We share an apartment and have one car, so technically my companion and I are assigned to be on bikes all the time, but we occasionally get access to the car.  It's kind of unusual, but I guess all of the biking will stave off any potential weight gain. haha.

Our ward here is very small... I couldn't tell you how many people are in it, but when you look out in the congregation, it looks about 30-40% missionaries... there are 16 missionaries in my ward!  The ward covers a pretty large area, too.  It's a pretty unusual situation, but we're trying to make the best of it and still reach out to the members.  Most of the people in the ward are from Honduras, with a few people from Mexico, too.

We don't have dinner with the members too often (on account of the sheer number of missionaries, as well as the fact that many of them are not as financially stable), but yesterday we had dinner with the Paz family, which was wonderful.  They're from Honduras.  They made us a traditional dish called baleatas... so good!  I haven't had any southern cooking yet and probably won't from any of the members, but I'm sure the other missionaries and I will have some before I leave.

It's been a little weird because the two trainers in my quadpanionship were companions beforehand, so they have to divide the work up between the two companionships now.  That means we don't have a lot of people to work with right now, but we've been trying to find more people and to reach out to members and less active members as well.  It's been hard, but it's been good.

The other day we had a pretty cool experience.  We were biking home at about 8:30 and had about 6 miles to ride before we got home, and our appointment for the evening had fallen through.  It was a pretty slow day, but we biked past a bus stop and a woman saw us and waved us down, calling out "Mormonas!"  We turned around and talked to her.  It turns out she had read the entire Book of Mormon before, so we set up an appointment to visit with her the next day.  It was cool to see that we really are placed in certain locations at certain times to help people.  Hopefully we'll be able to visit with her soon.

Well things have been very busy here and we're working hard to further the work.  I love you all and hope you're well.  Thank you for your prayers and support.

Love,
Hermana Walton

P.S.  We might be moving soon, but here's my address for right now:

Hermana Lauren Walton
3350 Grand Lake Blvd. Apt. A204
Kenner, LA 70065

No comments:

Post a Comment