Monday, January 13, 2014

6 January 2014

I can hardly  believe that it´s a new year and that in just 9 short months I will be back in Oregon.  How did I get to the middle of the mission already?
This week I think all I want to do is share two experiences... this week has definitely had it´s trials and difficulties, but I´ve seen great things happen.
The first was a very humbling experience, which took place yesterday.  My companion, Hermana Arenas, and I were working hard to finish up with our last few lessons on Sunday to reach our goals.  We had been a little bit contentious that day for no good reason.  When you spend a lot of time with someone, sometimes it just happens.  We were heading towards the house of a few of our investigators, when we started to get contentious again.  We got to the door and finished our disagreement, and, filled with contention, we waited silently for our investigators to come to the door.  I felt so bad, I had no idea how we were going to be able to help these people if we couldn´t get over our own problems.  I found myself praying silently for some sort of solution.  When they answered the door, we entered the house, and within seconds, the couple we had come to teach were yelling at each other, insulting each other about the silliest little things.  They had both been drinking and were not doing too well.  We explained talked to them about the importance of obedience of the word of wisdom,but more than anything that as they strive to be obedient to the commandments of the Lord, they will be happier and be able to have more peace in their home.  My companion and I explained that we, too, had contentions, and recognized that it came from our pride and disobedience.  It was a very humbling experience, in which we both felt very guilty and ridiculous for having fallen into the trap of pride, when we needed to be examples.  But the Lord knows better than us how to answer our prayers and the lessons we need to learn.
The other experience I want to share happened this morning.  As my companion and I went to buy groceries, we came across a man standing alone on a busy street corner.  He was asking desperately for someone who was willing to walk with him 3 blocks to the bank.  He was blind and needed someone to guide him.  My companion and I willingly offered our service and as we walked, he quickly noted that I wasn´t from Argentina.  Before we could tell him that we were missionaries, he told me, "Dios me ha enviado un angel de los Estados Unidos para ayudarme hoy."  (God sent me an angel from the United States to help me today.)  When we told him that we were missionaries, he repeated that.  His name is Francisco and he lost his eye sight a few years ago because of excessive depression after losing his job.  It was obvious that we were placed in his path today for a reason.  He really needed us and it was another evidence to me that the Lord is very aware of the needs of His children and provides a way for others to help them.
I know that the Lord is aware of us.  He loves each and every one of His children and there are things to learn in every experience that we have in this life.  I´m so grateful for the chance that I have to learn from the Master, as well as be the answer to other people´s prayers.
I love you all.
Sincerely,
Hermana Lauren Jane Walton

No comments:

Post a Comment